Tuesday, November 1, 2011

i turn to toast

Today was stressful.  After a 5-day weekend and on only my second day of work, the world decided to take a big ol' dump on my blissful little existence.  Oh, I'm sure things will be better tomorrow, but today it seemed like I had no happy place to run to, and around every turn was another grumpy, childish adult that I didn't have the energy to deal with.  Eh - it happens.

Now I know in the movies they usually show women turn to a pint of ice cream or a box or two of chocolates when they're feeling bad.  That's not me.  I've never been a huge chocolate person (unless it's dark chocolate preferably with chili).  Nope.  When I had finally hit my limit, I got up from my desk, walked to our cafeteria, and headed right for the bread.  Soft, beautiful, carb-o-riffic bread.  I took a slice and put it in the toaster, set it on high, and let it sit there for 5 minutes.  (Oh - this made it a light brown.  We have the world's slowest toaster at work.)  In the meantime, I found a clean knife and dug some hopefully non-tainted butter from the center of the brick that had been left out on the counter all day.  When I had enough waiting, I forced the toast up from within the toaster and spread the hopefully non-tainted butter on the bread where it melted instantly.  Oh, it was beautiful.  I added just a little salt (because they always seem to give us unsalted butter) and took my first bite.

Bliss!

It was as if the gods created that one slice and it's buttery goodness just for me for this one moment.  (Can you hear the angels singing?)

Though I seemed to devour that one slice of toast, I actually savored every bite.  I guess the lower-carb lifestyle has provided me with a new stress food.  I could have very easily gone through the whole loaf, but I kept it at the one piece.  When it was gone, I wiped the crumbs from the corners of my mouth, the butter from my fingertips, and headed back to my office.  The stresses were still there, but I was just a little bit happier because of the carby-dairy-salty comfort I found in one little slice of toast.

Yeah, toast!

No comments:

Post a Comment