Thanksgiving approaches!
Honestly, I have never gotten into Thanksgiving. I'm not that big into turkey because we cook it when it's not a holiday as well, The sides aren't that exciting to me. I don't like stuffing, can take or leave cranberry sauce, was never one for yams, green bean casserole makes me wanna hurl, and I can only take small doses of pumpkin pie. Yes, I enjoy mashed potatoes and gravy and rolls and jello, but I can have those any time.
Would a hearty "Bah Humbug!" apply here?
It would be so much easier if we had a Thanksgiving Eve along with a Thanksgiving Day so that we can celebrate with both families without having to eat two separate dinners in one day, all the while hearing them either outright complain or subtly hint that they wish we could spend more time with them. It causes stress that none of us need.
If it were up to me, I'd have Thanksgiving Eve with one family, the day after Thanksgiving with the other family, no rush, no guilt, and sit at home with my own little family on Thanksgiving day/night, eating loads of appetizers, grilled beef tenderloin and crab legs (who needs turkey?), leisurely sipping whiskey, playing board games and Wii bowling. That sounds like a pleasant and relaxing Thanksgiving for everyone!
Alas, I guess it's all about tradition and spending time with family even if you do see them all the time. The family tradition that my husband, son and I have every year, amidst the running between meals, is watching Home for the Holidays. If you've never seen it, I highly recommend you find it and watch it this year. We like to laugh at the characters that remind us of members of our own families, and then we become thankful that things aren't quite as insane on our day as they are in the movie.
Enjoy your dead bird!
No comments:
Post a Comment