I've gotten into the habit of running 5K 3-4 times a week. It takes me about an hour when you factor in the walking to where I start running and the walking back home. That's a lot of time! And when you're almost always following the same route (with minor variations now and then) you can get pretty bored and lose interest. When that happens, you start focusing on all the little pains and try to figure out just how much more time you have to be out there and if you can make it and then maybe you can cut the time down just a little bit and it's not such a big deal...etc. Maybe it's just me.
Anyway, this is why my iPod is my best friend on my runs. I can sing along (silently, in my head), run to the beat of the music (which can be a total help toward the end when I want to slow down), and focus on something other than my aching shins. Here are some of my favorite songs to run by:
Lose Yourself - Eminem: I think this is basically standard for people who listen to music when they run. The driving beat really keeps you going.
Hey Ya - Outkast: I never really liked this song. I still don't like it, but again the beat keeps me going.
Rockafeller Skank - Fatboy Slim: It's the perfect pick me up when I start slowing down. I smile when it happens to pop up and kick my ass into gear.
Rebel Yell - Billy Idol: This one used to pop up on a specific running playlist that I had in the winter just when I was about to give up. Somehow I timed it just right.
Revolution - The Beatles: This one's slow, and I don't go along with the pace, but it always makes me think of the old Nike commercial.
Just about anything by the Beastie Boys: As long as it's over a minute long. I hate those short little interludes that pop up in my shuffle.
Wasting Light album - Foo Fighters: This one took me a little while to warm up to, but now that I have it really keeps me going - especially when I've had a bad day.
One thing I do not listen to...anything from any Rocky soundtrack. Blech! I know it works for some people but just thinking about Stallone makes me want to throw up. That's not very effective as a motivational tool.
Try these:
ReplyDeleteThe Joy Formidable - "Whirring"
Madonna - "Jump"
Innerpartysystem - "Dont Stop"
She Wants Revenge - "Tear you apart"
Spinnerette - "Ghetto Love"
Tool - "The Pot" or "Jambi"
We were promised jet packs - "Quiet little Voices"
The whole Madonna "Confessions on a Dance Floor" album was my staple when I first started walking. I think I'm burned out on it. I'll have to see if I can find those others. Yay! New tuneage.
ReplyDelete