The thing is, everyone perceives things differently. Even things that you believe to be solid, unchanging things that everyone should see the same way - like a pencil or a piece of paper - are seen differently be everyone who looks at them.
Take the way you look at yourself in a mirror. Sometimes you look fat, sometimes skinny, sometimes just right...and you haven't gained or lost 20 pounds in the span of a day or two. I had the strangest thing a couple of nights ago where I looked in the mirror and I looked like an anorexic 50-year-old. (I swear, I don't do drugs.) I am certainly nowhere near skinny let alone anorexic, but what I saw when I looked in the mirror was gangly limbs and skin that was hanging off of me. It was horrible. I had to remind myself that my brain was playing tricks on me. Sometimes I look in the mirror and see myself the way I was over a year ago - a little too plump. It's all how your brain is receiving the signals that particular day combined with your mood, your own self-image, and tons of little factors you'd never even think of.
Looking at the same pencil, one person can see it as too short, another as extremely sharp, while yet another will see it as not sharp enough. Customer service to one person might be phenomenal while to another it's completely sub-par. Attractions and aversions and opinions shape a person's perception of every little thing.
So if it is what it is, then who's version of "it" is it?
Or am I overthinking?

No comments:
Post a Comment