Thursday, November 11, 2010

15 movies that stick with you


This is one of those facebook things where one person writes a list of favorites in their notes, tags a bunch of people, and then those people are supposed to do the same thing in turn.  Well. my parents were the ones who tagged me.  This poses two problems as 1) I have my notes hidden from family members and 2) I really don't think they need to know my list of memorable movies because some of them are memorable for reasons my parents don't need to know.  I like thinking about these movies though, so I've decided to post these in my blog where I can feel a little more open about what I say.  I've never been one to follow the rules when it comes to some things. 

Here goes:
 THE RULES: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen films you've seen that will always stick with you. List the first fifteen you can recall in no more than fifteen minutes. Tag fifteen friends, including me, because I'm interested in seeing what films my friends choose. (To do this, go to your Notes tab on your profile page, paste rules in a new note, cast your fifteen picks and tag people in the note)

1. Amadeus - Best movie ever.  There isn't a single thing I don't like about it.
2. Pee Wee's Big Adventure - I can recite this movie line for line.  Blame it on a sleep-over in 5th grade when we watched it over and over. 
3. Bram Stoker's Dracula - We saw this after going to visit a prospective college.  I was still a little hopped-up on codeine from my tonsillectomy, so the visuals looked 10 times better and the acting probably didn't seem quite as bad at the time.  I will say one thing though - the whole vampire thing put us in the right mood to have a very memorable evening once we got home.
4. Basic Instinct - Me and the hubby's first date.  Way to start things off with a bang, huh?  In high school, I wanted to be just like the lead character - strong, smart, sly, and kinky.
5. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang - It's just so freaking funny and in such a dry, quick-witted manner.  I love getting people turned on to this one since it was never very well-known.
6. Labyrinth - Come on - a fairy tale by Jim Henson with awesome characters, the Bog of Eternal Stench, Ludo, and of course David Bowie in leather and tights.  "Love me, fear me, do as I say and I will be your slave."  Yup.
7. White Nights - One word...Baryshnikov
8. Pollyanna - I'm not saying this is one of my favorites, but it certainly is memorable.  I used to watch it every time it was on TV just to torture my poor father.
9. The Doors - My friends and I saw this in the theater 4 times.  This was quite a fete being that it was rated R and we were still underage.  Seeing it on the big screen was like a drug trip in itself...or so it would seem.  I have nothing to compare it to.
10. Ghostbusters - I saw this with my parents in the theater when it first came out and I remember the audience singing along with the theme song.  So great, it still holds up after all these years.  My friends and I still use the gatekeeper/keymaster analogy.
11. Poltergeist 2 - I had a hard time deciding between the first and second Poltergeist movies, but I have to go with the second because of Reverend Kane and "God is in his holy temple," the tequila worm monster and Taylor and the car.  Classic.
12. Anchorman - The first time I watched this movie, I thought it was the most stupid thing on the face of the earth, but once I watched again, I found myself laughing heartily.  It's now one of my favorites.
13. Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi - I know, they're three separate movies, but they're a trilogy and therefore one continued storyline.  Come on, these shaped a whole generation of us.  What girl didn't want to be Princess Leia and what guy didn't think Han Solo was cool or geek out when Leia was in her slave costume?  Iconic is the best word I can think of for them.
14. Dangerous Liasons - A wonderful interweaving of damaged characters.  Brilliantly played, beautiful scenery and costumes, tons of mind games.  Perfect.
15. Ed Wood - Wonderful movie about a director who, at the time, I didn't think many people knew about.  Martin Landau does a spot-on Bela Lugosi, Bill Murray as a character named "Bunny," Sarah Jessica Parker in a role I could actually tolerate, and Johnny Depp doing a strip-tease in angora.  Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment