Friday, February 15, 2013

...and i feel fine: part 3

Oh boy - what events have transpired in the past week.  This has got to be the end of the world now, right? The Pope resigned, lightning struck St. Peter's, a meteor exploded over Russia, an asteroid came whizzing past the planet, and some poor cruise ship passengers were stranded for a few days.  (Okay, maybe that one's not so scary if you're not on the ship.)

I didn't even know a Pope could quit.  I'm sure I'm not in the minority on that one.  I mean, think of poor Pope John Paul toward the end of his career.  You had to hold him up with a stick and he still kept going.  Benny gets a kink in his neck and he's like, "That's it, I'm outta here!"  Two things about this.  One - apparently the big dude in robes in the sky wasn't so keen on the idea because he sent out a little message:

Methinks someone is not pleased.
And two - this brings forth a new doomsday prophesy.  According to something written back in the Twelfth Century, the good ol' Last Judgement is supposed to happen during the time of the 112th Pope.  Guess what?! The next Pope is #112.  Welcome aboard!  Please, read more about it here.

So then there's this little ship that had a little fire and people aboard it got stuck with no electricity and no working plumbing and it got stinky and people weren't happy and now they're back on land and all is well.  Moving on...

Then, the event that we knew was coming - the arrival of the asteroid 2012 DA14.  A beautiful name, isn't it?    It came a mere 17.000 miles near us.  That's 5,000 miles closer than our orbiting satellites.  We saw it coming, we knew we were safe, and thought it was cool.  You could even watch it online and see it whizz by.  Bye bye DA14!  Yay, science!

But then there was the unexpected event that many of us woke up to reading about -the meteor that exploded over Russia.  For us watching it on YouTube and the news and reading stories on the internet, it's simply fascinating.  Just think about what the people who lived it were thinking.  For those who saw it, was it a meteor, some sort of missile, Superman?  But the sonic wave it caused...my lord!


Here you are, going about your daily business and this wave of sound blows out your windows and scares the living begeezus out of you.  No wonder there were over 1,000 people injured - nobody saw it coming.  A bit of a wake up call to remind us that we're just one little insignificant speck in an enormous universe so vast that it makes my head hurt just trying to think about it.  Ouch.

So...is the end of the world nigh....again?  Are we all going down sooner than later?  Are we in for a disaster of Biblical proportions?  Shall we be expecting the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse for high tea?



I think I need a drink.  Anyone have four teacups I can borrow?

...and i feel fine: Part 1

...and i feel fine (addendum)

Edit:
Another theory:

via EpicLabTime



2 comments:

  1. Tell you something, I had no idea popes could not quit. Just to show how much I know about certain things (nothing). :/

    That meteor rain in Russia is pretty heavy stuff. I put up a warning on my blog as well. Pack your bags and head for NASA folks, the apocalypse is coming. Turns out it's gonna be meteors that'll kill us, not zombies.

    Ah well. As long as we're all going to go together, I'm cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps the meteors are going to create the zombies?! Oooh - let's start that rumor!

      Delete