As I was desperately trying to find something on Netflix last night that I haven't seen 3,892 times, I happened upon the old 1936 full-length PSA Reefer Madness. Woohoo! Something to barely pay any attention to and laugh at. As the introduction rolled (no pun intended), the dramatic message became clear:
"Marihuana is that drug -- a violent narcotic --an unspeakable scourge -- The Real Public Enemy Number One !"
What a great word - scourge. And then they used it again...and again...and again! It was then that I realized that I really need to try to work that word into conversations more often. And then I remembered that there is a whole list of words that I love that don't get the use that they deserve.
Let's start with dear old scourge - shall we?
scourge: noun; a cause of affliction or calamity
"These dirty dishes are a scourge on my feng shui."
onomatopoeia: noun; the formation of a word, as cuckoo, meow, honk, or boom, by imitation of a sound made by or associated with its referent
"There has to be a more descriptive onomatopoeia for the noise that my husband is making while he's sleeping in the recliner."
minion: noun; a servile follower or subordinate of a person in power.
"Dear, as my minion, it's your job to do the dishes - not mine."
superfluous: adjective; being more than is sufficient or required; excessive; unnecessary or needless.
"While I appreciate the fact that you were getting in a good nap and didn't want to wake up, flipping me off while you walk into the kitchen is a bit superfluous, don't you think?"
abdicate: verb; to give up or renounce
"Fine! If you're abdicating your responsibilities, I guess it falls to me...as usual"
disdain: noun; a feeling of contempt for anything regarded as unworthy
"It is with disdain that I grab my sponge and this lasagna-soaked pan..."
swell: adjective; stylish; elegant
"Once upon a time I dreamt of having two homes - one cozy house in the country and one swell apartment in the city...with servants!"
versimilitude: noun; the appearance or semblance of truth; likelihood; probability
"Of course, that dream was completely lacking in versimilitude."
domesticity: noun; the state of being domestic; home life
"Ah, the bliss of domesticity!"
Last night's rerun of Big Bang Theory featured the word "scourge."
ReplyDeleteSheldon: "I'm no stranger to the crimson scourge that is dermatitis. Can I interest you in a topical steroid from my lotion and unguent collection?"
You might have to add "unguent," too. Just saying.