Tuesday, December 27, 2011

simplicity is what makes it all better

I had a rough day today.  I admit it - I was grumpy.  I didn't want to be back at work, I didn't want to listen to people asking others how their holiday was just so they could turn around and talk about all of the meaningless stuff that they got for Christmas, and I wanted to be alone.  Okay, I was probably PMS-ing.

Then as I checked facebook from time to time as I do throughout the day at work when I have nothing going on as seems to be the case more often than not these days, I noticed a friend posted a link to an article from an online Australian newspaper.  It was some advice from a very wise teacher (and a man I greatly respect) about how to make a less stressful life through simplicity.  It was very short, but many of the points seemed to hit home.

I read it and went on about my day, and then noticed that another friend posted it again.  I read it again.

And then another friend posted it later in the evening, and I read it again, and I let the words really soak in instead of just reading them in agreement.

"Whatever beings do, wish them happiness and that all disturbing feelings may disappear,"
"Give constructive advice or be a good example during the day."

It's all so easy...so why is it so hard?

With practice, it becomes easier.  And I have been trying to do this for quite some time now, but being just another regular unenlightened human, I get wrapped up in the emotions of the people around me and my own personal likes and dislikes.  I need to keep myself in check and be that good example...pausing only to write humorous, if somewhat snarky, blog posts from time to time.

I'll post the link below.  Take a moment of your time and read it yourself.  It should take you less than two minutes. A little later on, read it again.  Try it one more time and see if things really start to sink in - I dare you.

Simple Ways to A Better Life
Herald Sun, Melbourne, Australia



No comments:

Post a Comment