Oh, how I love languages other than English. One of my goals on my bucket list is to learn Latin (and maybe Russian). As a small town girl, I don't get much exposure to other languages. We don't get many people here from other countries. There were the AFS students that we had in high school but they were only speaking English - how boring. We've always had quite a few Mexican immigrants who speak Spanish as a primary language, but um, no. And don't forget the standard staples of French and Spanish throughout middle and high school, but asking questions like "Where is the library?" and "Hello, my name is ____. What is your name?" get old very fast. The only French I really remember is how to say "Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun." I don't eat Big Macs - this will not be useful to me. Oh, I remember a few curse words that came in handy when my son was younger and I didn't want to swear around him as well, but that might be 4-5 words max.
Since I can't speak other languages (other than those few choice phrases and the songs that I sing in Latin in choir), I have learned to love listening to other people instead. Namely men. Namely extremely attractive men. Preferably speaking Italian or Russian.
Words like "mozzarella" and "linguine" do not work for me. I need sentences. Poetry. I want to hear the language flow from them like honey, and I want them to woo me with it. Yes - woo. And then they can have their way with me. That's all. It's not so difficult, is it? I would not get as...um...er...frisky as Jaime Lee Curtis did in A Fish Called Wanda, but I would certainly melt and lose any strength to say no. (And let me throw in a disclaimer here - my love of men speaking these languages is not due to this movie at all. In fact, I had completely forgotten about that trait of hers until I watched the movie again last year. My love of listening to the Italian language started in college, and Russian back when White Nights came out - blame Baryshnikov.)
Alas, I don't know any men who fit this bill.. How unfortunate for me (and how fortunate for my husband) that we don't have the money to travel. Maybe I'll have to invest in some Rosetta Stone software for him. I'm sure he's always wanted to know Italian, you know - since he doesn't have a single drop of Italian blood in him.
Merde.
No comments:
Post a Comment