We all have them. Those songs that as soon as you hear them, you're instantly transported back in time to a certain place with certain people and you are there until the last chord is played, with a smile on your face...until you snap out of it and realize you're in your thirties and the scenery around you has changed quite a bit.
Here are a few of mine...
My dad used to play guitar. Sometimes my uncle would come up to visit - he played piano - and they'd start singing together. Some of my best childhood memories were of the two of them, or just my dad, singing songs I didn't really even know. Hearing them again as I grew up, I could place them right away - either being sung inside by the piano, or out on our front porch on a summer's night. This was one of those songs.
Ack! Dance class! I remember we did a routine to this song - one of the few where we used pom poms. (As was about the furthest thing away from a cheerleader as you could imagine - even in grade school) When this song comes up, I remember the mirrors on the walls and the wet, slippery floors on those hot summer days when the humidity and sweat just condensed on the floor. Yeah - yummy. Dancing while trying not to slip and fall on the cheap tile was always fun.
I had written about this song in an earlier post. One guy and a night I wish I could have done over.
Oh, this song....how I love this song... Back in high school, one of my friends and I used to exchange smut stories. We would take time during study halls and try to write the next best tale of love and lust - full of terrible metaphors and colorful terms for body parts (ahem), keeping the other person's crush as the male character in the story. Well, she won with her tale of the guy I had a crush on wooing me while he sang this song longingly to me in the high school hallway. Silly as it was, it stuck with me. The crush faded away, but the memory of the song and my feeling toward it stayed.
Ha! High school talent show. I was a huge Madonna fan at the time, and Dick Tracy had come out not too long before. I was out of my New Kids on the Block phase and had entered the femme fatale phase that I would remain in for the remainder of my high school life - something that I embraced to keep me strong, but I'll get into that another time. Anyway, I was determined to make it as a singer and I had my eye on this guy that had come and gone out of my life since 8th grade, so I decided to sing this song at the talent show and convince him to attend so I could sing it to him, and of course he would fall for me and we'd live happily ever after. Ah, the naivete of high school. He did attend, I sang it and sucked (Madonna with a terrible case of laryngitis in this video sounds 20 times better than I did), and sooner or later...it still didn't really happen. Though I should note - my husband-to-be did attend the talent show as well, so maybe it worked on him instead. ;)
Our wedding song. Yes, writing "Love Song for a Vampire" was very satisfying to write in my wedding program. Funny thing is, the song never even mentions vampires. How could these lyrics not be any more perfect for a wedding:
"Let me be the only one
To keep you from the cold.
Now the floor of heavn is laid,
Its stars of brightest gold.
They shine for you.
They shine for you.
They burn for all to see.
Come into these arms again
And set this spirit free.
No comments:
Post a Comment