It's been a while since I've been able to hang out with my friends; those near and those far. I am really starting to miss being around people who "get" me. Here's an example... At my workplace, we have a group due to arrive this week that is Turkish. When people start to talk about this group, their sentences usually begin with, "The Turks are coming," or, "When the Turks get here." At one point, I responded, "Sheesh! You make it sound like the Ottoman Empire is invading!"
Silence and blank stares on their faces. They didn't get it. I've tried this reference on a couple of different people around here and none of them have gotten it. I'm not sure if they have even heard of the Ottoman Empire before let alone find Turkey on a map. All they know is they're Muslim and, well, let's not get into that.
Okay, so they don't know history...how about a movie reference to go with? The opening sequence in Bram Stoker's Dracula when the Ottoman Empire is invading Transylvania and Prince Vlad is fighting them in his wolf armor. You know, this one:
"Hmmm...I don't think I've ever seen that movie. Is it any good?"
Please. Shoot me now.
At one point, I started singing They Might Be Giants "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" Again, they'd never heard of it. I give up! It's not like I'm talking about obscure 12th century poets. These are some (I would think) pretty well known things.
My friends - my wonderful, funny, intelligent, curious, open-minded friends who know of life outside of reality TV, People Magazine and Business Weekly - would get my references right away. Until I see them again, I guess I'll just stay alone in my own little world of "me"-ness.
No comments:
Post a Comment