The mood for Christmas, people. Sheesh! I'm having a hard time realizing that Christmas is only 12 days away and that I should be singing Christmas songs and chugging egg nog. I'm just not feelin' it yet. I thought maybe if I post some of my favorite holiday songs on here, I can start humming along.
"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" - the version Judy Garland sings in Meet Me In St. Louis. The lyrics are just a little bit different because the family is just about to move from their long-time home, but they're better. "Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow," makes me cry every time.
"When the River Meets the Sea" is a classic from the Muppets in two different forms. First, it was on the classic album A Christmas Together - John Denver & The Muppets and then showed up again in Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas. Both versions are beautiful and need to be played over and over.
"Ave Maria" - Harry Connick Jr's version. I don't know why I like this version so much better than the other 3 million out there, but I just love it! (I do have to apologize that this is the only video of the song I've been able to find. Just close your eyes and listen)
"Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth" by David Bowie and Bing Crosby. This has got to be one of the oddest pairings in music history, but somehow it worked.
"White Christmas" I have to hear two different versions of this song every year - The original Bing Crosby version and this one by the Drifters.
"Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" Yes, it's never going to be that easy, and John could be quite idealistic, but it's a great song. I think listening to Yoko warble in the background with the kids is my favorite part.
"Do They Know It's Christmas" by that one time conglomerate group...Band Aid. It was a noble idea, but it's also a ridiculous song. "There won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime." Really? I think I have to listen to it every year just to chuckle. And then I have to watch the parade of bad hair in the video.
Okay, that's a start anyway. I'll have to think on this a little more and maybe add a Part 2 a little later.
No comments:
Post a Comment