Saturday, January 23, 2010

this day in history

So, today is my birthday. I am officially thirty---some years old today. Other than a throbbing headache from cheap boxed wine, I feel no different than I did yesterday. I've had a hard time with this number for some reason. It just sounds so much older than the last one did.

Anyway, here is a short list of exciting things that happened on the day that I was born:

Barney Miller premiered on ABC

Seriously? That's it? Oh screw that - let's take a look at January 23rd in history...

1571 Queen Elizabeth I opens Royal Exchange in London
1723 Georg Friedrich Handel's opera "Ottone," premieres in London
1812 7.8 earthquake shakes New Madrid, Missouri
1849 Mrs Elizabeth Blackwell becomes 1st woman physician in US
1870 173 Blackfoot (140 women and children) killed in Montana by U.S. Army
1941 Ground breaking for NACA (now NASA) Lewis Research Center
1948 Huston's "Treasure of Sierra Madre" starring Humphrey Bogart opens
1961 Supreme Court rules cities and states have right to censor films
1973 President Nixon announces an accord has been reached to end Vietnam War
1977 Miniseries "Roots" premieres on ABC
1983 "A-Team" with Mr. T premieres on NBC
1986 1st induction of Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame (Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Domino, Everly Bros, B Holly, J L Lewis and Elvis Presley)
1998 Pope John Paul II condemns U.S. embargo against Cuba

Wow - thrilling! Eh, I guess I'll just be happy that I wasn't born on the day of a national tragedy or something. Happy birthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment