Monday, January 14, 2013

something harshed my mellow

I have been on the verge of an anxiety attack (or in the midst of a mild one) all day.  Possibly even longer than that - I don't know.  I've never had one before...that I know of.  All I know is that all day today, and for some time last night when I was trying to get to sleep and at the end of last week for a little while, I've been so tense that it feels like my skin is crawling, my heart rate accelerates from time to time, my mind shoots from one thing to another and I can't focus, I've been dizzy and on the verge of a headache and anytime I'm presented with any little bit of tension, my heart feels like it's about to jump right out of my chest until I breathe my way out of it.  What the hell?!

I'm the mellow laid-back one.  I don't stress out.  I don't let things get to me.  I mean, yeah - things have been pretty stressful lately, but they're now starting to turn around.  And I had a couple of little hiccups in my groove today, but nothing that isn't going to be okay soon.  I don't get it.  Why now?  And why ever?!


I looked it up on WebMD (because that's the first thing you should always do), and my symptoms matched perfectly.  I looked up the causes and it said, "Anxiety may be caused by a mental condition, a physical condition, the effects of drugs, or from a combination of these."  Gee, that's helpful. 

Okay, fine.  I know I'm having some sort of attack so what do I do about it?  Ever-knowledgeable WebMD suggests the following:
  • Exercise.  I do this every morning.
  • Meditation.  Again, every morning - sometimes just a quick one and other times for an hour or so.
  • Don't partake in illegal drugs.  Ummmm...duh.
  • Stay away from caffeine and chocolate.  I don't think my one cup of coffee routine is making me wacko, nor is the possible one bite of chocolate I take a day.
So, I'm already doing everything I'm supposed to be doing in order to help calm any anxiety, but I'm still sitting here full of anxiety!  So does this mean that I have some sort of a mental problem?  Am I going to have to start taking medication?    Oh great, one of the other symptoms is fear of having more attacks.  Gah!

Okay, okay....I'm going to sit here in my office surrounded by the fragrance of "Sandalwood and Soothe", say some mantras, listen to some 16th century lute music, and sip on some Zen tea.  If that doesn't do the trick, someone better have me committed.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, we can shake hands. I have anxiety and panic attacks. I've had them ever since I came out of the hospital 18 months ago.

    Look, I don't mean to be presumptuous but I'd like to lend you a hand here, just because I know how it is. I've had cognitive therapy, and it's taught me that anxiety originates in a negative way of thinking. Usually when you worry or when you keep coming up with doom scenarios. Those thoughts can last less than a second, so you're not always aware of it. But emotions are always the results of thoughts, however small those thoughts may be and even if we're not actually aware of those thoughts.

    So actively think of happy things. Think of things that make you feel safe and happy. Your parents, or your boyfriend, for example. Or remember happy experiences. If you can't keep them in your mind for too long because you can't focus, try writing them down. Then read them, but not quickly. With everything you've written down, try to really think about it. Try to remember it. The smell, the feeling, the pleasure, whatever. And remind yourself of these things whenever the anxiety pops up again.

    It takes some work because it's not easy to keep thinking about things that do not come to mind immediately, but it does work. Other than that, a book can work as well. Or a movie. But it has to be good. You have to be able to dive into it and not read or watch it while your thoughts keep wondering. Find an occupation for your mind.

    Trust me, it works. Maybe not immediately, but sometimes it takes practice.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh *wandering, not "wondering".

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tips. I enjoy thinking happy thoughts. I'll make a point of thinking of more. :)

      Delete