Thursday, May 17, 2012

happy thor's day!

During a discussion regarding The Avengers at lunch today, I remembered how I learned about Thor in the first place...learning about the Norse gods in second grade.  That made me think about another tidbit of useless yet interesting knowledge stored in my brain - the naming of the days of the week.  Now I'm going to share this useless yet interesting knowledge with you.  Aren't you excited?! 

To make it extremely simple (since most of these have long, complicated reasons), I'm using an elementary school social studies website as my resource.

Okay, here we go:

Sunday: Sun's Day. The Sun gave people light and warmth every day. They decided to name the first (or last) day of the week after the Sun.
Monday: Moon's Day. The Moon was thought to be very important in the lives of people and their crops.
Tuesday: Tiw's Day. Tiw, or Tyr, was a Norse god known for his sense of justice.
 
Wednesday: Woden's Day. Woden, or Odin, was a Norse god who was one of the most powerful of them all.

Thursday: Thor's Day. Thor was a Norse god who wielded a giant hammer.

Friday: Frigg's Day. Frigg was a Norse goddess equal in power to Odin.


Saturday: Seater's Day or Saturn's Day. Saturn was a Roman god.


And there is your education for the day.  Now I'm going to go celebrate Thor's Day the best way I know how: Looking at pictures and sighing. 

This Thor could kick the crap out of that Thor in the picture above...you know, with the goat chariot.












No comments:

Post a Comment