Ah, television. Personally, I feel there's a whole lot more crap on it than good stuff, but that's just me. I can't even say I'm completely against reality shows because I've somehow become hopelessly addicted to Full Metal Jousting. Well, I'm pretty sure I can figure out why, but still...
Anyway, over the years the networks have decided to stop running some of my favorite shows. For whatever reason - on for a long time, can't find the right audience, too expensive to continue producing, just stupid network executives - they were gone and a little part of me was gone with them.
Here are the top four shows that I would be ecstatic to have back:
1. The Tick
I don't think the powers that be knew who to market this to. It was shown for quite a while on Saturday mornings but more adults watched it than kids. The humor was awesome. I've seen every episode many times and have worn them out. I need something new! Spoon!
2. Deadwood
I was never really into the whole Western thing, so when this series was recommended to me I put it on my Netflix queue doubting I'd get past the first disk. I loved it! There's humor, there's blood and sex and drama. The dialogue is incredible and the profanity is woven in like golden silk. After three seasons it stopped. Not even any ending to the story. We were left hanging off of a very high cliff with no help in sight. Even if we could just get a couple more episodes to tie up the many loose ends we'd be satisfied. Just give us resolution! (The video below is not for those with weak ears...and this scene is pretty tame.)
3. Rome
My favorite show of all time. Beautiful sets, amazing dialogue, history, humor, sex, intrigue, Rome, Egypt, Caesar, Cleopatra, Antony, Pullo, Vorenus...I could go on forever. Unfortunately the show lasted anything but. We only had two seasons of this amazing show and then it was pulled because production costs were too high. I'm thankful that they actually tied up all of the plot-lines at the end, but the Roman Empire lasted for hundreds of years - there are so many more stories that could be told. This show paved the way for others like The Tudors and Spartacus, but it still has yet to be beat.
4. The Muppet Show
Sadly there's no way in the world this could ever happen. Sure, they could have a show on at night starring the Muppets, but it would never be the same without Jim Henson holding the reins. He could reach children and adults, make them laugh, cry, learn and be entertained all in one hour. I loved it as a kid, and watching the shows now that I get all of the adult humor and references, I love it even more.
No comments:
Post a Comment