Thursday, August 25, 2011

the crap i keep

I've been purging things lately (unfortunately not poundage) and yesterday's task was cleaning out my personal email inbox.  I was hoping I'd find some more of those great time capsule emails from friends that I had referred to in a previous post, but instead I found a treasure trove of recipes I'll never try, emails from family members complaining about mundane day-to-day events, and newsletters that are completely obsolete. 

Was I just too lazy to delete these emails?  Did I think I'd go back to them again and find some use for them?  And good lord - why did I keep weather alerts from 2008?

And then I looked in a folder I had named "Saved Messages" and I found even more emails in there that I have no clue why I would deem them as something to be saved.  I think I was some sort of email hoarder back in 2007/2008. 

The thing that really pisses me off is that there are emails that I wish I had kept that I apparently deleted. Great conversations that I had with friends, words of wisdom, passwords to sites I rarely go to but are necessary - you know...important stuff.  But no, they're gone. 

Instead I'm left with lists of cleaning tips that I've never looked at and forwarded jokes that weren't even that funny when I originally received them...five years ago.

Sigh

I've whittled down the 45 pages of emails that I had down to 6.  I could probably go even further, but I don't want to look pathetic either.  Can someone please send me some great, meaningful, funny or touching emails that I can keep forever...for a good reason?

No comments:

Post a Comment