Wednesday, August 10, 2011

right vs. left

Noooo....I'm not talking the state of our political climate.  I'll leave that to other people who want to spout forth their own opinions on the subject - I'm done.  I'm talking about my brain and the odd way in which it works.

As I've said before, I've gone from being more right-brained to just about 50/50.  It's an odd phenomenon for me.  This morning I realized that the sides of my brain must be taking turns being the dominant side, yet they don't want to work together.  You know how some people do their best thinking on the toilet?  Well, I"m not one of those people.  No, my brain seems to work the best when I'm standing nekkid in the shower.  Go figure.  Yesterday morning I had an epiphany about the best way to do a report at work.  And it was beautiful.  The ol' Left Side was working away while Right Side must have been taking a break, popping a short daydream or memory in from time to time to say, "I'm still here."  This morning, Righty kicked into full gear and came up with some great ideas for blog posts.  (You lucky, lucky people) I think Lefty was still asleep.

The problem that I'm running into now is that I'm having a hard time switching from one side to the other fast enough and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed.  Not enough time to do what I'd like to do because I'm being pulled in two different directions. I want to be doing creative things while I'm being forced to do math or I'd really like to write a story for a great cause, but my left brain is making me write a list instead.   I'd love to be able to run one report, shoot out a somewhat witty email, type up a contract, do a blog entry.  It's not working as fast as I would like it to and I'm getting frustrated.

Maybe I need a brain mediator or something to make them work together in a more civilized fashion.  I could make my projects more of a combination between the two sides of my brain.  I could add some nifty designs to  my reports or organize by photo albums by year.  Oh wait - that sounds far too Martha Stewart-esque.  Scratch that. 

I just want a working, happy, non-cluttered brain again.




No comments:

Post a Comment