Wednesday, July 20, 2011

reasons why i'm a terrible person - who knew?

So, from things I've read on facebook and heard from friends and family, here are things I do or have done wrong and why I should apparently be ashamed of myself:

  • I was induced when I was 41 weeks pregnant...and then I had pain meds....and then I had to have a c-section.  And it was a damn good thing that I did, because he had the umbilical cord wrapped around him in a very bad position.  I didn't have a midwife or a doula (whatever the hell that is).  I had an OB/GYN that I really liked, and he (yes - HE - probably even worse, huh?) did a great job.

  • I didn't breastfeed my baby.  Oh, god, I know.  And you know what?  My son and I bonded just fine.  And he doesn't get sick any more than any breastfed kids out there.  And he's not at all stupid either.  I think that takes care of any reasons I was given while I was pregnant.  I'm not opposed to it, I even tried it, and it just didn't work for us.  Oh, I wasn't breastfed as a baby either, and I still live to tell the tale.

  • I only had one child.  No, he will never know the love of a brother or sister, but if you've never had it - how can you miss it?  I've never missed it.  He doesn't have social issues, he isn't spoiled because we can't afford to spoil him, and he's not a snob. 

  • I don't buy organic foods.  Why?  Mainly because they're far too expensive for the label "organic"  I'm also a crappy baker and don't have a lot of time to cook, so many of our foods come in cans and jars and are filled with preservatives, chemicals and refined sugars. 

  • I don't sterilize everything that raw meat touches. I use the same cutting board for my meats and my veggies.  I take my meat rare and my eggs extremely over-easy.  And to top it all off...I eat raw cookie dough.  Gasp!

  • I shop at Wal-Mart.  Sure, I'd love to have the choice to go somewhere else for my groceries, but with the budget that we're on we don't have a choice.  They're simply cheaper and that's what we have to go with right now.  Once I get a huge raise or we win the lottery, I'll switch over to fancy-shmancy Piggly Wiggly and farmer's markets.

  • I rent.  I don't own a home.  Our credit won't allow for it, and frankly I don't mind not having to worry about the cost of dishwasher repairs or patching a hole in the roof.  Sure, sometimes it sucks having people so close to us, but for the most part we've lucked out.

  • One of my cars was made in Korea.  It runs great, provides all of the space that we need, and we can afford it.  Does the fact that our other car is American balance things out?

  • My political ideals run a little left of center.  Not a lot, but a little.  To some people, anything left-er than way right is just wrong and makes me a loony with no brain.

  • I'm a heathen.  Deities just don't do it for me.  I'm not into a big guy in the sky controlling everything.  Sorry. 

With all of these things that are wrong with me, some people would think I'm a miserable unhappy human being with a son who has major imbalances and I'm just dang lucky to be alive.  Yet here I am.  We're happy, we're healthy, we all get along, and (I think) people like me.  We're all different.  We all do and believe in different things.  We're all in different life situations.  If another person is perfectly happy, a friend to others, not harming anyone or themselves, yet living life differently than you - why judge them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment