Friday, July 15, 2011

ensuring domestic tranquility

As my son grows older, I'm finding out just how alike he and his father are as far as temperament goes.  Eerily similar and frankly somewhat scary.  More and more, both are right, the other being completely wrong, with no room for compromise.  I swear I feel like I'm sitting in a room between the Republicans and Democrats in the talks regarding the debt.  I've warned them for years that once the kid hits teenage years I'd be moving out to let them fend for themselves and learn how to compromise without hurling themselves into WWIII...and they think I'm kidding.

I think some night after one of their butting heads, I'm going to leave a small list of things to remember, words of wisdom such as: "fresh air is a good idea every now and then," "no one person is ever completely in the right," and "can't we all just get along?" pack a small bag for myself, and leave for a few nights. Would they miss me?  Would they survive?  Eh - actually I think they'd be fine, but I'd like to think my absence would teach them a lesson in right, wrong, compromise and how to pick your battles.

It's good to dream.

Everybody sing along....


No comments:

Post a Comment