Friday, April 15, 2011

statistics lie

A couple of my friends have been quote-happy on facebook lately.  Eh, we all go through those streaks.  One of my friends was posting Marilyn Monroe quotes and they made me flash back to high school when I was a big Marilyn fan.  In 1991, Nike came out with a print ad that I ended up posting on my bedroom door - a place of honor and away from the hundreds of New Kids on the Block posters that were covering the walls of my room. I remembered that it was a great message, but couldn't remember exactly what it said.  Thanks to the world of the internet, I was able to find it again and now I feel like I should post it on my office door.


If you can't read the copy, this is what it says:

 "A WOMAN IS OFTEN MEASURED by the things she cannot control. She is measured by the way her body curves or doesn’t curve, by where she is flat or straight or round. She is measured by 36-24-36 and inches and ages and numbers, by all the outside things that don’t ever add up to who she is on the inside. And so if a woman is to be measured, let her be measured by things she can control, by who she is and who she is trying to become. Because as every woman knows, measurements, are only statistics. And STATISTICS LIE."

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment