Wednesday, October 6, 2010

why is this surprising?

A couple of weeks ago, the media was abuzz with the story of the results of a survey conducted by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.  This 32 question survey on religion was given to 3,412 randomly sampled adults across the country and the results were interesting, but in all honesty I wasn't surprised. 

Disclaimer:  Remember, this is my blog - therefore my opinion, so don't go getting all pissy... ;P

Do you have any interest in trying the quiz yourself?  You can find a shortened version here.  If you do want to try the quiz, I hughly suggest you take it before you continue reading this entry...I don't want to give anything away.

Done?

Good.

I'll continue...

Now the findings showed that in this cross-section of the US, the people who scored the highest were those who consider themselves Athiests/Agnostics with people of Mormon and Jewish faith coming in a close second and third. 



This was absolutely shocking to some people!  I don't really know why.  I have found that a good section of people who I have talkted to who consider themselves Christian (and according to the survey, two-thirds of Christians) - whether they attend church every week or not - have never read the Bible completely, or only read parts of it.  Sure, they know the stories of the Bible, they know the quotable verses, but rely on sermons and their own personal beliefs to keep their faith going.  Many were brought up that way and it's more a family tradition - it's how they were raised.  (Please don't accuse me of lumping all Christians in this group - I know of many who study the Bible intently as well.  I just know there are many who consider themselves Christian without a deep knowledge of the Bible)  That is what they know, what they believe, and they have no need to investigate any further.

Many Athiests and Agnostics were raised Christian, but because they felt they didn't really agree with what they were being told, decided to delve deeper into the religion, usually starting out by reading the Bible.  Honestly, that is where many people decide it's not for them, or that it's the perfect fit.  After many people come to that decision, they search for another religion that fits what they already believe.

The results make perfect sense to me.  Was it just the fact that WASPs weren't deemed the most intelligent about something?  I know that can get them pretty grouchy.  (Oh, simmer down - I joke.)

Here are some findings that I did find interesting as this takes a look at all answers on a whole, not by religious affiliation:


I know religion is a touchy subject, so I'm not going to go on about anything other than saying that the results of this survey make for some interesting reading.  Be you Mormon or Christian, or Buddhist or whatever...knowledge of the things and people around you is always a good thing as well.

Oh, my score on the online quiz?  15 out of 15.  What was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment