Thursday, May 20, 2010

spilled milk

I will preface this by warning you that this blog is more serious than my others. I'm using this as my outlet for frustration at the moment, so bear with me (or stop reading now).

I have friends who are going through tremendous struggles right now: My best friend who has just found out her mother has terminal cancer, a family that is faced with losing their place of residence at the end of the month and haven't been able to find another place to live, another friend has a baby who, just born, is fighting infection and struggling with his breathing, an old acquaintance from school who fell and broke 3 vertebrae, and a family that I used to be close to who went through tremendous loss back when we were in high school who are now going through another unexpected tragedy.

For all these reasons and the things that these people are going through, I am compelled to say the following:

Person #1: You now come crying to me (and everyone on facebook) because you're not getting something that you want, looking for attention by overdramatizing your dismay, cursing the God that you had just been praising for the good things in your life, and proclaiming you just want to be left alone so you can get over it. No, I will not play along. You have survived for years on what you have, though it hasn't been easy - I completely understand that, and you still have health, a roof over your head, friends and family. Be thankful for what you do have and enjoy it.

Person #2: You are fortunate enough to be able to stay at home with your children. This is something that many of us would kill to have the opportunity to do. You also are fortunate enough to have a maid come in and clean, taking another of the worst duties of daily life away from you. Is your life really so hard? I do understand that mothering is a full-time job and not the easiest one either. I'm just not fathoming why the constant complaints and wishing for calgon to come and take you away. I can understand the occasional stress-out, but constantly? You are so fortunate to be able to be there every day with your children, helping to teach them and watching them grow. You have little worry financially, no work deadlines to add to your family stress, a stable marriage (I think...you hardly ever talk about him). Be thankful for what a great gift this is - it is a position that many of us will never be fortunate enough to be in.

Person #3: You are always depressed. You love to bring up your past and the bad things that happened to you in a bid to get more sympathy. I understand you are not an all-around happy person. But, to bring up someone else's problems (one listed above) not to make people aware, but to draw more attention to yourself and have people pray for your strength is just wrong. This is not about you. If anyone needs strength right now, it's those who are immediately involved.

Person #4: You have had steady employment at the same place for the past 9 years. Is it your dream job - no. You do work for a penis club who not only befriend themselves and promote those with said dangling appendages, but who act like them as well. You also work with prima donnas who spend so much time patting themselves on the back that they forget to show any trace of respect the other people who make them look good. You haven't had a raise in 3 years, your benefits suck, the people around you lack both common sense and a normal sense of morality, but you still have a job. That's more than so many other people can say. Quit your bitching and moaning and try to make the most of it, be the positive voice and hope it's contagious.

I know each person in the world handles things differently, but no matter how bad things look to you, someone else has it worse. You can whine and cry and say, "Woe is me," or you can shrug off the smaller troubles and try to help those around who who are in those terrible tough spots. Be a positive influence, stop dragging everyone down and for the love of Pete, stop crying over spilled milk.

P.S. Yes, one of the people listed is myself. Sometimes I need to slap myself upside the head as well.

1 comment: