Saturday, May 22, 2010

debbie downer and her cousin nellie negative

I never thought about it before, but I realized that I know both of these people well.

Debbie: The one who is always sure to tell people who died recently, who has a terrible disease, how the circumstances around them are so terrible that they'll never be completely happy again, how old their pets are getting...blah, blah, blah. I try to turn things around to show things in a positive light, trying to find the silver lining, but Debbie is a professional at tarnishing that silver with another zinger of a downer.

Nellie: The one who, when presented with a positive situation, will find something wrong with it and view it as being completely negative and then go on and on lecturing about it and chastising those who would think it's a good thing. The person who can find a flaw in every little thing - from a great family picture to people doing charity work. It makes me wonder if there is any good in the world for this poor person.

Sure, we all have our moments, but to live life with a cloud of doom and gloom or anger and negativity hanging over your head is not a healthy way to live. My wish...well, for myself, because I've tried my best for these two and I just can't seem to get through...is that when I grow older, I do not become Debbie or Nellie. My wish is to be Goddess Gleeful, Graceful, Gladsome, Golden, Good-natured, Gut-Busting, Good-Spirited. Yeah, it's a long title, but I think I can live up to it. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment