After looking at the 1985 movie release dates, I thought I'd make some little lists of the best of the plethera of awesome movies from that year.
Let's start off with the thing that mattered the most to me as a 5th grader - Dance:
1. White Nights
Oh, how I still love this movie. Is the acting Oscar-worthy? No, but it's not terrible either. The dancing, however....wow! Baryshnikov and Hines? You can't get any better than that. This is the movie that truly introduced me to how versatile a dancer Baryshnikov is. I had seen him perform "The Nutcracker" on PBS a few times (remember when they ran that every Christmas?) so I knew who he was but this was so much better than the formal, men in tights and girls in tutus kind of dancing. It was expressive and real and my jaw dropped even in the opening scene. After seeing this movie, I swore to myself that I would see Baryshnikov perform live at least once before he stopped dancing, and I'm happy to say that I did. :)
What's awesome: The dancing, the kitschy music (Say You, Say Me), Helen Mirren.
Not so awesome: The not so well known kitschy music, corny ending
How do I pick just one scene to post?
2. Girls Just Want To Have Fun
Back in the days of Solid Gold and American Bandstand, it was many a girl's dream to become one of the dancers on one of these music shows. Here, we find a young Sarah Jessica Parker trying to win a dance contest to become a dancer on her favorite show, best friend Helen Hunt at her side. I don't know if I ever would have seen this movie had it not been for a slumber party at a friends house when we watched it over and over again along with "Pee Wee's Big Adventure." Talk about a double-feature!
What's awesome: A girl's dream comes true - and she get's a humky guy, young Shannen Doherty
Not so awesome: Terrible choreography (I even figured that out back then), obvious dance doubles
3. A Chorus Line
I had no clue who Michael Douglas was or why he was such an odd choice for his role in this. All I knew was that it was full of song and dance, but not in a Rogers and Hammerstein kind of way. Some of the songs were a little naughty, so that made me like it. A song about tits and ass - gotta love that one.
What's awesome: Tons of dancing - no dance doubles
Not so awesome: A few "romantic" moments that I could have done without, but it's not the movie's fault...
Next time: The funny movies based on horror themes
No comments:
Post a Comment