Wednesday, March 31, 2010

1985 - the science movies

1. Weird Science

I didn't see this one until I was an adult, and I think that's probably a good thing. I was never the party type until I hit adulthood, so I don't think I would have gotten it. The awkwardness of the two is a little over the top (hanging out in the bathroom during a party), but it's a silly 80's movie, so who cares?

What's Awesome: Robert Downey Jr, Bill Paxton, and a great song by Oingo Boingo (Danny Elfman pre-Tim Burton)
Not So Awesome: 80's women's bikini underwear being worn by a guy - how did they fit so perfectly? The missile in the living room - really?



2. Real Genius

This is my favorite movie in this category. Val Kilmer, the hottie that he was. (Ah, what happened Val?) So many classic lines that I still use today. "...all of my filth is arranged in alphabetical order. This, for instance, is under 'H' for "toy." and "This? This is ice. This is what happens to water when it gets too cold. This? This is Kent. This is what happens to people when they get too sexually frustrated. "Can you hammer a six-inch spike through a board with your penis?"
and I could go on, but I won't because I don't want to bore you. The cheezy 80's music montages and hilarious script make this one of those movies that I can watch over and over.

What's Awesome: Val Kilmer, the popcorn scene, Kent talking to God (see below), Lazlo
Not So Awesome: The little love story between Mitch and Jordan. He's only 15! Geniuses know about statutory rape, right?



3. The Bride

Okay, I admit, I haven't seen this movie in years, so I really don't have much to say about it other than it was based on the Bride of Frankenstein (hence the science category) and it stars Sting and Jennifer Beals. Yeah - that's all I remember.

What's Awesome: Sting
Not So Awesome: Sting acting



4. D.A.R.Y.L.

I bet you forgot about this movie, didn't you? It's the one with the kid who finds out that he's really an android and has to escape from the government. Okay, I had forgotten about it until I saw the list. I always felt bad for the poor robokid. Looking back on it now, you have to wonder how people actually believed that this would be possible given the awesome 80's technology that they had. (Check out the Pole Position game in the clip below)

What's Awesome: The 80's technology, kids swearing
Not So Awesome: The sad parts - I hate sad parts



Next time: The classics that must stand alone

No comments:

Post a Comment