Wednesday, May 15, 2013

geektastic saturday

It was May 4th. 

(Okay, I started writing this post a looooong time ago and never got around to finishing it.  Sue me. 
No, don't.  I have no money.)

In geekdom, this is a sacred holiday.  It's Star Wars Day!  Why?  So all of us can go around posting "May the Fourth be with you" on Facebook, Twitter and every other annoyingly memeful social media outlet imaginable.  It was a day to don my Han Solo / James Bond mashup t-shirt (my favoritest shirt) and let my geek flag fly.

I bought this baby on riptapparel.com
Sorry, it was only available for a day.


This year, the day was doubly exciting for people because it was also Free Comic Book Day.  Now, I've never been a comic book person.  I mean, I might have had two when I was a kid, but I just never got into it.  My son has been into graphic novels ever since he learned how to read, but never really had access to comic books, so he was somewhat interested in going to get a few freebies to find out if it was something he'd like to get into. 

Sure, I'm game for new experiences - especially the ones with the word "FREE" in them.   

We headed out into the nearest comic store that was listed on the official Free Comic Book Day website and were greeted by two of the most stereotypical comic book "nerds" in the world.  They took one look at us, sighed, and said "Free Comic Book Day?"  I smiled and nodded.  They pointed to the back corner and said "Follow the path to the back corner."  Ooookay.  Thanks?

Per their directions, we followed the path to the back corner.  There we found wall displays of the latest issues of the standards - The Avengers, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Walking Dead, and a few anthologies for $35, and then there was a big bin of back issues that were 50% off.  A logical place to start, right?  Unfortunately there was no rhyme nor reason that we could see as to how they were arranged.  I'm sure there probably was some system, but being new to a store of this type, we couldn't see it.  Of course there was nobody there offering to help.  In fact it seemed like they hated this day for the very reason that it was created - exposing a new group of people to the immense world of comics. 

After digging around for a while, we finally decided on three back issues along with two of the free offerings.  The kid was sooo ready to get out of there. Apparently girls in bright pink wigs and men with bad BO who look like they live in basements aren't his cup of tea.  And neither are comic book stores. 

So, we bought our sampling of comics and went back home where I celebrated Star Wars Day with a movie marathon and he went back to his video games.  Geeks we are, but apparently not of the Comic Book Genus.



May the Force be with you....always.


No comments:

Post a Comment