Tuesday, September 18, 2012

sickness, carbs and lethargy

I apologize in advance for any lack of clarity in my writing as I am coming out of a NyQuil coma and am hopped up on Sudafed. (See NSFW video below.)

I have had a cold for 4.5 days now.  I know, colds happen all the time - especially now that the kids are back in school.  Here's the thing...I rarely get sick.  If I get a cold, my body fights it off and I just get little bits and pieces of symptoms that just kind of say hello, but nothing really ever comes of it.  This time, I got knocked on my ass.  And the thing is, it's mainly just a minor head cold, but it is so utterly draining that all I've done for the last 2.5 days is lay around or sit on my ass. 

It's probably my own fault.  I haven't been getting a lot of sleep over the past few weeks because I've been getting up early to work out and going to late-night lectures, so my body was probably too tired to fight it off.  So by me trying to become healthier, I caused myself to get sick.  Oh life, what a convoluted game you play.

Now add to the sickness and lethargy the constant need to eat.  And not just eat anything, but my body is craving carbs.  The evil white stuff that I've been limiting in my diet has now become the one thing my body wants to ingest.  I've read that this is because my body needs fuel to fight off the virus, but why can't I be craving oranges or tomatoes instead?  Pretzels and Bugles and toast and noodles - that's what my body wants.  Screw the vitamins, gimme junk!

I have this fear that by the time I'm finally over this thing, I'll have gained 15 pounds and won't be able to do the exercises I've worked my way up to, thereby causing me to say "fuckitall" and go back to my existence of XL clothes, bread dough appetizers and extremely low self-esteem. 

Of course, maybe that's just the NyQuil and Sudafed talking.



Warning: Not for innocent ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment