Thursday, August 30, 2012

come, heavy sleep (just not right now, i have things to do)

The innocent sleep,
Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleeve of care, t
The death of each day's life, sore labor's bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great Nature's second course,
Chief nourisher in life's feast
 - William Shakespeare  

I am a moron.   There are many reasons why I can say this, but today's reason would be that I set myself up to be extremely tired today.  I knew it going into it and I still chose to do it to myself.  I went to a lecture in a city an hour away from me last night.  The lecture started at 8:00pm.  It finished at 11:00pm.  I was in bed at midnight.  My alarm went off at 5:20am so that I could get up and exercise because I refuse to miss a day of this crazy workout for fear that I'd never start again.  I got up, worked out, and proceeded to get ready for my 8 1/2 hour workday.    Now here I sit at my keyboard - a jittery, giddy, fuzzy-thinking moron - becoming more and more tired at the virtual ticking of every second. and laughing at the silly things I find myself doing.  
  • Typing things like "bye bye" and "okie dokie" in business emails.  Thankfully remembering to delete them.
  • Doing the "mom sway" in my office chair.  (Parents, you know what I'm talking about)  Just give me a lullaby to hum to myself and I'll be out like a light.
  • Giving my computer monitor a double bird-flip after getting a ridiculous request via email from someone I always get ridiculous requests from.
  • Sinking lower and lower in my chair until I notice that my ass has slid almost completely off of the front of it.
  • Loudly humming along to the music I have playing in my office.  Loud enough that other people can hear me.
  • Laughing out loud at myself for loudly humming along to the music I have playing in my office.
  • Staring blankly at the digital photo frame on my desk as pictures I've seen thousands of times cycle through, snapping out of it, shaking my head, and then staring blankly at my computer monitor.
  • Looking at the clock and swearing at myself after realizing how many more hours of office-chair-sitting I have left.
Ah, sleep deprivation is fun!  No....no it's not.  I'm lying.  But I did it to myself, so I have to try to make the most of it.  I have to say - I"m looking forward to floating into my bed tonight.  Preferably around 8pm.    

No comments:

Post a Comment