I've hit another wall when it comes to posting. I have three drafts that consist of titles and a couple of ideas just waiting for me to go back to them and make them sound awesome. It's not happening. I'll write a sentence or two and clear them out again, never getting anywhere. Instead of completely abandoning them, I've decided to place them all in one post so you can have a taste of each of them. Consider this the Golden Corral of my blog...minus the chocolate fountain.
on a steeeeck
Oh, the array of artery-clogging foods being offered at the state fair. Everything from deep fried bacon-wrapped cheese-filled tater tots to deep fried stuffing on a stick (how do they get it to stay together?) to something called a Pork Doughnut (a sugared Bismark stuffed with BBQ pork). And don't forget the dessert choices of chocolate covered cheese, or a Fat Elvis on a stick (peanut butter cup covered in banana batter with bacon) and wash it all down with a beer float. (Can you tell it's Wisconsin?)
How do people survive a trip there? Do they have first aid stations set up specifically for coronary issues? Extra bathrooms for the hundreds of people who will surely have digestive issues after ingesting so much grease? Having never been there, I can't answer these questions. Maybe I'll have to go next year so I can see for myself...and maybe try the bacon-wrapped deep-fried hot dog on a stick...
birdwatching = life-watching
On one lovely weekend morning, I decided to meditate on my balcony for a change. As I finished I looked across the street and saw not only a blue heron but also a pair of sandhill cranes. Not long after that, there was a kingfisher on the top of the house across the street that was singing while it beat its next meal (the small fish hanging out of its mouth) against the peak of the roof. Not a pretty sight, but still fascinating. I watched them all for about half an hour as people worked in their garages, drove past them, going about their business not even knowing they were there. It just reminded me to slow down and take the time to look around you - you never know what amazing things you might be missing.
a good morning ass-kicking
After turning on the television and being subjected to infomercials morning after morning, and foolishly thinking "Hey, I could do that" I made the decision to start the Insanity workout. Thankfully I had someone I could borrow it from so I didn't have to pay the $120 for something that in the back of my head I was pretty sure I would fail miserably at. I made the decision to start on a Monday, decided the only way I could fit it in to my schedule would be to get up early which I've never had much success with. This was really sounding like I was going to crash and burn.
The first morning's workout was what they call the Fit Test where you have a certain amount of time in which to do as many repetitions of an exercise as possible. Then the next time you do the test, you should see some improvements.
I almost died.
When I was finally finished and took a shower, I could barely lift my arms up over my head to wash my hair. Walking around work was almost impossible. Things certainly didn't improve on the second day when I had to do the actual workout. For gods' sake - the perfectly-toned athletes in the video had to keep taking breaks. What the hell was I doing trying this?
Not one to give up too easily, I pushed through and by the second week was actually starting to enjoy getting up, putting on smelly workout clothes, and getting so sweaty doing this over-the-top workout that my face was dripping every morning. Now if I don't have a muscle that hurts or is a little strained, I feel like I must not have worked hard enough and try harder the next time.
I don't think it's called Insanity because the workout is so insane...I think it's because the people who continue with it are insane themselves. I actually enjoy kicking my own ass every morning!
dessert
I was going to provide a little eye candy for this buffet's dessert, but I can't seem to find any new pictures that trip my trigger. Maybe someone out there can send me something new? Maybe?
Please leave your plates on the table and a busser will be by to pick them up. Have a good day.

No comments:
Post a Comment