Lately on Fridays at work, we've been playing a trivia game. Respond with the correct answer first and get a chocolate. I've been asking the questions because, well, I don't want any chocolate. I've been picking the Trivial Pursuit questions off of the cards and giving the players the easiest ones I can find. They're really freaking easy!
Or so I thought.
Examples:
Who was the announcer on The Muppet Show?
Answers given:
Jim Henson
Garfield Goose
Jerry something
We actually had to forfeit this question after an hour because NOBODY KNEW THAT IT WAS KERMIT THE FROG! I even gave them the hint that Jim Henson was kind of right, but it was him in another form. Nothing.
Okay, maybe fewer people watched the Muppet Show than I thought. Here, everyone knows things about basic geography:
What's the biggest country in the world?
Answers given:
Australia
Brazil
IBM
China
Asia
Russia
Asia
IBM? (Can you see me do a double-take here?) Okay, someone probably read the question wrong. Maybe they thought it said the biggest company. But Asia. Asia? My dear co-workers, did you not pay attention in second grade social studies class? There are continents and there are countries. Continents are made up of countries (well, except for Australia, but it's always been a bit...unique). I wonder what they'd say if I asked them what the capital of Asia is. No, on the other hand I don't think I want to know.
Okay, fine. No geography. Let's try for pop culture that spans generations. People from the ages of 25-55 were playing. Here's one that everyone should be able to figure out...
Who was the bass player for the Beatles? I reminded them there were only 4 to choose from, so it should be easy.
Answers given:
Stuart something
Ringo Star (sp)
Ringo
*****Ten minutes go by with no other answers*****
I'm banging my head on my desk. There were four people in the band, only one of whom did not play a guitar of some sort, and they only named that one person!
Let's try for a nudge in the right direction, shall we? "Well, it's not Ringo and it's not some guy named Stuart. What were the names of the other Beatles?"
A little time went by and finally the name I had been waiting so impatiently for popped up in my email, "Paul McCartney." I never got a John Lennon nor a George Harrison. I thought that was some sort of rock n roll holy quadrinity, "JohnPaulGeorgeandRingo" How did these people grow up?
I actually facepalmed so many times today that I think I have a welt on my forehead.
That's it. I'm not going to play with these people anymore. It's not worth the damage to my face.

No comments:
Post a Comment