Thursday, February 23, 2012

cravings

Why is it that we never crave things like salad or green beans or, hell, even raisins?  I've been trying to be so good about what I'm putting in my body (one considers whiskey healthy, right?) but all I can think about right now are chips and dips and breads and sweets and things that I shouldn't be eating.

Before we go any further, I should pause and say no, I am not pregnant.  For some reason everyone's mind goes there when a woman is craving anything...or sick, or tired, or dizzy.  It's crazy, really.

Moving on...

For months now I've been hungry for Pillsbury Crescent Rolls.  Actually, I've been hungry for dinner recipes that I used to make using those tasty things.  One is no healthier than the other.  One was called Crescent Chicken Squares and made for tasty convenient leftovers for work the next day.  The other was more of a comfort food and loaded with cheesy goodness...Cheesy Chicken Rollups.  Yum!

Chicken Crescent Squares at Food.com
Now, considering that one of these tasty squares carries over 350 calories (let's not mention the carbs) and I usually eat 2-3 of them as a meal...this is a big DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT on my healthy food meter.  But I can't help but think about them.  They were so sweet and savory and creamy and flaky...  Sigh.

And then there's snacks.  I want Bugles, dammit!  I want Bugles and chili dip or ranch dip.  And I want Pringles and French onion dip.  And I want cheddar and sour cream Ruffles.  I also want fried mozzarella sticks, french fries, fried cheese curds, a gyro, and cheese, sausage and crackers.

This presentation of Bugles and dip is much fancier than
my normal bag & plastic dairy container
I sound like such a pig, but it's driving me crazy!  Don't think I'm not snacking at all or starving myself.  I eat my 1200 calories per day.  Sometimes I have some Bacon Ranch popcorn from Popcorn, Indiana.  Sometimes I even have half a serving of the wonderful bits of heaven on earth: Snyder's Bacon Cheddar Pretzel Pieces.  (To DIE for!) 
Have you tried this stuff yet? 
If not, I highly recommend you do.

I think I'm just getting sick of them and need a week of naughtiness to get the cravings out of my system again.  Then when I realize how bloated and crappy I feel, I'll go right back to my old ways again.  Right? 

Ugh - no.  I know that's not good for me either.

Can someone recommend a vegetable that tastes like chips and dip?

1 comment:

  1. Before karma kicked me in the ass and I could eat wheat, I used to take the bugles and fill them with spray cheese before popping them in my mouth. OMG! They're like heaven. Except with more This Could Kill You qualities.

    And my sister swears by baked kale. Seasoned with an array of spices, of course. I, however, have never tasted baked kale. It just looks gross.

    ReplyDelete