Wednesday, February 8, 2012

i'll be ready when the deadly virus spreads

Last night, we watched the movie Contagion. I knew going into it that it wasn't going to be a fun uplifting movie, but I wasn't prepared for the amount of paranoia that set in afterwards. 

I've never been one to worry about getting sick (well, other than for a week before I go on any kind of vacation).  I've always had a strong immune system, I rarely get sick, I eat undercooked foods quite often and never end up in the hospital, etc.  But after watching this movie, I got up from my chair and washed my hands - for no reason.

The thought of going to work was especially difficult.  People touch everything - time clocks, door handles, food - and never wash their hands.  I've witnessed it first-hand.  The chef walks into the cafeteria after coming in from his smoke break, sticks his nasty cigarette smoke laden fingers in one of the trays of food, and takes out a piece of something, puts it in his mouth, and proceeds to do it again!  It's disgusting.  I'm not even going to go into how dirty the bathrooms can be.  I can just imagine how quickly a deadly virus would spread around this place.  And my bottle of Germ-X is almost empty!

After walking into my office, making sure not to touch anything with my hands (which is a very difficult task when you have to pull 3 doors open to get in), I looked out of my window and saw this sitting on the table in the common area.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
Can you hear the angels singing?
This was the answer to my germophobic prayers.  A monstrous two-liter bottle of hand sanitizer.  After noticing the look of pure bliss on my face and the fact that I was on my knees worshiping the giant bottle of clear cleaning goo, one of my co-workers told me she had found it sitting around her house and thought we might want it in this filthy place.

I wonder if she has a case of surgical masks kicking around her house as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment