Thursday, May 26, 2011

to the mayfly...

Clouds of hovering insects
Slowly moving from lake to land
Too large to be mosquito
Too small to be damselfly.
Remembering my calendar, I realize
These must be the flies of May
So aptly called the Mayfly.
Same time every year they arrive in droves
Settling upon unsuspecting objects everywhere
Covering everything that doesn't move
And preventing people from walking
Without constantly swatting them away.
Hatch, swarm, mate and die -
Ah, what a life!
While the frogs and swallows must appreciate
The feast you provide them,
I think I'll stay inside for a few days
Until you have spent yourselves with your mating
And your population dies out again.


P.S. Okay, what we actually have around here are midges, but people call them Mayflies because they come out in May.  You know, it's easier that way than actually finding out what they are. 


No comments:

Post a Comment