In the days before the Dollar store, we had the Dime Store. Those who came before us called it the Five and Dime.
The dime store was downtown within walking distance (or even a bike ride) to home and when you had a little extra allowance money, you couldn't wait to get there and choose from the vast array of goodies they had on their two levels of bliss. Here's a compilation of some of my favorite dime store items:
Smarties Pops ruled!
If I remember correctly, they were only 10 cents a piece, so I'd stock up.
Big League Chew
I'm sure I wasn't the only one who attempted to fit the whole packet's worth of shredded gum into my mouth...and failed. Talk about a sugar rush!
Garbage Pail Kids
I spent quite a bit on these things. Unfortunately, I never found one with my name.
Halloween Costumes
When Halloween rolled around, there would be aisles and aisles (okay, maybe it just seemed that way to a kid in grade school) of costumes in boxes. Plastic masks and smock-type clothes coverings that somehow was both the costume and the answer to the question, "Who are you today?" (I happened to have that Leia costume on the right)
Chirping Christmas Ornaments
I always felt sorry for the poor employees who had to sit there and listen to 5-10 of these things going off constantly. Christmas was full of chirping plastic ornaments, silver tinsel, bad artificial trees, lights, and...ugh...all I can hear are those dang ornaments!
Garanimals
You'd never have to worry about mismatching your clothes as long as your animals matched. How could life be any more simple?

Grandma Clothes
It was a wonderful world of polyester and boy did my grandma love it!







No comments:
Post a Comment