Monday, August 16, 2010

the pains of facebook

I've been on facebook for a couple of years now and there are some things that have irritated me since Day One that I just cannot get over.  I know many lists of facebook no-no's and personality types have been created, but this is my own little list of things....

1.  The people who use facebook like a twitter account.  I do not need to know how many hours you're working every day.  Seriously...daily posts about how many hours you're working have no point other than to make people think you either 1) have no life other than work, or 2) want people to think you're some sort of Superwoman.  I also don't care if you're out going shopping with so-and-so, if you just bought a new pair of boots on sale, what you're having for dinner or that you're driving to pick up your kid from dance class.  I admit, I've been guilty of this from time to time, but I soon realize it and delete the dang thing.  Now, it's different if it's not all the time or if it's written in a creative or humorous way.  I like being entertained...not bored.

2.  Cyber "huggggs."  This is one of the most irritating things I see on there.  Are we supposed to be feeling the squeeze in all of those "g"s?  I've seen people say something like, "Hugs to you," or "Sending hugs your way," but this is a "sentence" of its own.  Anything from, "Hugggggggggs" to "Hugggggs you tight" to *huggggggggggggs* and don't forget the trendy way of ending it with a z: "Hugggggggggggz," and every time I see it I want to barrrrrrrrrf.

3.  People who complain about their friends who post items from the games they play.  Sure, it can be overwhelming to see 10 items about one person who needs a barn or who leveled up in a game, one right after another, in your feed, but that's why I love this nifty feature called "Hide."  If a post appears about a game that you don't care to see anything about, you click on it and say, "Hide i*nsert name of game here*" and then that's the end of it!  No complaints, no more feed pollution, and you don't have to try to make your friends feel like idiots for playing such idiotic games. ;)

4.  Drama queens/kings.  The people who have to announce how miserable they are in order to get people to comment and boost their egos.  I've noticed quite a few people like this online.  It gets old...fast, and I'm not going to play along.  Once I get sick of it, they're hidden and I'll check their pages from time to time just to see if they've decided to post anything positive.  It's not something I find very often.

5.  The countdowns to Friday.  Another one I'm sometimes guilty of.  I know what day of the week it is, thank you.  I don't need to be reminded of it and shame on me for doing the same thing.

6.  People who take it all personally.  I know this one has been brought up many times - most memorably on South Park with "You Have 0 Friends."  If I don't post a reply to something, LOL at your funny video, or "like" your picture...who cares?  Maybe I haven't gotten around to it, maybe I haven't even seen it yet, or maybe...just maybe...it wasn't interesting enough for me to waste my time with. 



7.  Speaking of "Like, " how about the people who "Like" every little thing you can think of from famous people to quotes to random nonesense.  This is usually a teenage habit, which I can excuse, but when people older than me are hopping right on the bandwagon of liking "I WISH I HAD MY MOM I TRULY MISS HER TAKE CARE OF YOUR MOM CAUSE YOU DON"T KNOW HOW LONG YOU"LL HAVE HER," I have to cringe.

Okay...I feel a little better now.  I know this wasn't my most original post, but I just had to get it off of my chest.  Moving on...

2 comments:

  1. Is this about me? I think this is about me. It sounds like me. Why don't you just come to me in person if it's about me? Why are you posting this hateful commentary for all to see when it's so obvious to everyone it's about me?

    Wanna guess my personal pet peeve?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. I'm used to seeing that on some teenager's posts, but when I see women our age saying it I start wishing for online facebook therapists.

    ReplyDelete