Wednesday, June 30, 2010

snap! crackle! pop!

Am I talking about some old-fashioned breakfast cereal?  Oh, how I wish!  No, dear reader, these words are the sounds that my body has started making when I move.  I never used to make uncontrollable cracking sounds when I walked.  In fact, I used to make fun of my husband for not being able to sneak up on someone because his knees were constantly cracking.  Now he can make fun of me too - there's nothing right about that.

Within the past year or so, I've noticed strange cracks coming from my right foot as I walked across the office.  Those were followed a few months ago by the crackling, grinding sound of my left knee as I go up or down stairs.  (It's especially lovely first thing in the morning when I'm heading down my apartment stairs to our garage.)  Then, yesterday morning as I was putting on my pantyhose (a task I despise anyway), I noticed a popping sound coming from my left elbow as I was using my thumb to roll them up.  My body has become a symphony of the sounds of tendon erosion.

Seriously?  Have I aged so much in the past year that now my joints are cursing me?  Come on!  Remember a few posts ago, I started talking about how I'm losing weight and feeling better about myself?  Yeah, well now I'm feeling self-conscious about all of the unexpected and unwelcome noises that I make when I move.  Maybe if I just stand still when flirting, I'll be okay...

No comments:

Post a Comment