Tuesday, June 22, 2010

some thoughts on cankles

Cankles: The area in affected female legs where the calf meets the foot in an abrupt, nontapering terminus; medical cause: adipose tissue surrounding the soleus tendon, probably congenital, worsened by weight gain and improved in appearance only by boots. From the English "calf" meaning wide portion of the lower leg, and "ankle" meaning slender joint of leg with foot.
(From urbandictionary.com)













As I was walking through my local Wal-Mart this evening, I happened past the pharmacy where there was a line of about 5 people. 4 of those people were terribly afflicted with some pretty nasty cankles. I wondered to myself if the drug companies had just recently released some sort of new anti-cankle pill, or if it was just coincidence.  If there isn't a pill, will there be one soon? Are they hereditary? Are they contagious? Eek! Sure, they're cute on babies, but everything is cute on a baby. (A bowl of spaghetti is cute on a baby's head, but not on a 40-year-old's.)

Have cankles always been around?  Did cavewomen have to sit a spell and rest their swollen hairy feet?  Did Cleopatra suffer not only from some really bad facial features, but also a nasty case of cankles?  What in the world did they do in the Victorian era with those high laced boots? I can't imaging cankles hiding under those, or did they just lace the boots so tight that the fat was pushed up into their calves creating some sort of mushroom cloud effect?  Or is this some new affliction in the era of fast food and remote controls?

Well, whatever the case may be, I do not want them. I enjoy wearing socks without the elastic burrowing into my skin.  I want to be able to wear shoes without having my puffy feet pushing out of the tops of them like bread dough rising out of the pan.  I shall now add that to my list of things that I would like to see cures for: heart disease, cancer, AIDS, diabetes, mental disorders and cankles.

No comments:

Post a Comment