Let's take a quick look at the good,
The bad,
And the downright confusing.
The Good:
Our family +1 road trip to Colorado. Road trip! Snore through Iowa and Nebraska. Dodge the tumbleweed in eastern CO. Visit family who we haven't seen in what seems like forever. See the mountains. Climb the mountains. See mule deer and elk and moose. Visit Voodoo Donuts. Experience their museums. Partake in legal recreation. Tour The Stanley. CHECK! The only thing we weren't able to do was visit one of my best friends. Next time!
March for Science Chicago. When the going gets tough, the tough make a sign out of poster board and carry it down the streets of Chicago with 60,000 other people holding signs of their own. All those people and not a single incident of badness. Take that, Chicago badmouthers! You can read more about the day on an earlier blog post.
Taping The Daily Show: Chicago. Speaking of Chicago, when you just happen to notice that free tickets are available for The Daily Show that's only taping 2 hours away from where you live, and you visit that site and tickets are still actually available...you get the damn tickets. It was a truly unique experience. It was fun to laugh and boo and want to throw things at the screen with others who feel the same way we do about many things. And it was also inspiring to see and meet people who are trying to do some good in the world - from neighborhood do-gooders to celebrities. You can see us (sitting amongst the people with business connections whose area we infiltrated) in row 5 in the clip below:
Swear Trek on Twitter. Okay, this one came out of left field, didn't it? With everything going on in the world in the past year, nothing quite expressed exactly what was going on in my mind the way this account did. I'm not even that big of a Trek fan, but this feed just gets me. If you have the twitter (or even tumblr), and don't mind a whole hell of a lot of curse words, check them out @swear_trek
Aaron Rodgers liked my Instagram comment. Okay, it's not really one of the best things that happened this year, but I just thought I'd throw in there.
The Bad:
Government. I guess I can just leave it at that, huh? I can't think of one single good thing that happened politically. I mean, I'm sure there had to be something, but there was just so much bad and so many insane people getting so much airtime. I had to take breaks from the news just to regain my sanity...and keep from becoming an alcoholic.
Real world companies not reacting the way other well-known industries did to harassment issues. I'm not going to say too much here, but it's terribly disappointing to do the right thing and put yourself out there when the powers that be don't do what they can to make things right. Some places are still stuck in the 1960's and just don't get it. Where'd that wine go?
Getting older. I don't think I need to say any more than that. Granted, I'm still thankful to be here, I just wish my body acted the way it did 20 years ago. Where's the magic pill for that shit?
The Confusing:
Twin Peaks: The Return. The first time I watched it, I was completely lost and disappointed that it didn't go the way I wanted it to, though I still enjoyed it. The second time I watched it, I was still completely lost, but had no expectations to be disappointed by. Even after reading the book that helped fill in the blanks between series and gave a little more insight in storylines, I still have so many questions. So. Many. Questions.
And that sums it up. Quickly. I'm gonna go crawl into a cave for the next 36 hours or so and come out on the other side of the holiday. I have a few things I'm greatly looking forward to in the coming year. I'm not going to give anything away though. You'll have to keep an eye on my Facebook page or Twitter account or something to see what's going on.
I wish you all time spent with the best of friends, love, laughter, and all good things.






No comments:
Post a Comment