Saturday, February 20, 2016

i'm sorry...do i make you uncomfortable?

People measure time by moments. They remember when things were done by another memory or life event it coincides with. "I met so-and-so when I started high school." "I bought those shoes when I was a freshman in college." It's just the way our brains work.

Now when someone asks me a question like when did I stop singing in the community choir, I think for a little bit, and then respond, "Oh yeah, I stopped two years ago because I was starting chemo," I'm greeted with a look like this and a quick change of subject.



People also share stories of previous experiences to add to conversation. It's the way we relate to each other, laugh at situations and at ourselves, and sometimes share more of who you are.

When the ladies at work were talking about winter and the joys of not having to shave their legs as often, I mentioned that the one thing I enjoyed about being on chemo was the fact that I didn't have to shave. Seriously, it was awesome! I was being light-hearted and joking around with the rest of them, but I got this and people made their way into other conversations.


I do not bring up my past diagnosis and treatment as a means of making you feel sorry for me. I don't bring it up to remind you of what I went through. It was just a part of my past. No, it wasn't the most pleasant thing in the world, but it's just fact. I'm fine with it and can talk about it because I've moved on. I'm comfortable with it. Why isn't anyone else?




No comments:

Post a Comment