Thursday, October 16, 2014

comment wars

I made the mistake today (and yesterday) of reading the comments sections of internet articles.  Apparently I never learn, but that's what happens when boredom gets the best of me.  It's amazing how the most innocent of subjects turns into a heated political argument with vile words and tired sound bites.

Come on, people!  Why are you so angry?  Why must you make an argument out of everything?  Why do you keep going on and on and on as if the other people you're arguing with are going to change their minds because of a comment?


I mean, really.  I can see things getting heated in the comments section of an article about politicians or Supreme Court decisions because those are...well...political.  They're setting themselves up for that kind of talk.  But stories about good deeds turning into ugly political arguments because of tangents that other commenters have gone on?  Can't you just leave things be?


Sometimes there arguments within arguments or five arguments going on at the same time, and they're all so ugly.  I don't get the anger out there.  I really don't.


And when words don't work, they resort to meme wars, because they have to be pissy about that too.



I just don't get it.  It's stuff like this that makes me get fed up to the point where I unplug for a while. (Not that that's a bad thing...)


Then I wonder what these people are like in real life - out from behind the safety of the computer monitor.  Are they just as angry?  Are they always shoving their opinions around where they're not needed?  Are they the people who you wish you never started a conversation with at parties?


Breathe in...breathe out...  I'm hoping this is just a small, but far too vocal section of humanity and they'll wear their voices out sooner rather than later, because if these voices only gain strength, I'd hate so see what the world becomes.



No comments:

Post a Comment