Monday, June 9, 2014

fluffy

If you've seen me lately, either in person or in pictures, you've probably noticed I'm quite fluffy.  Fluffy, you ask?  Yes.  Fluffy.  I'm fluffy in two different ways and you probably noticed one, if not both, of them.

1.) My once completely bald head now has a thick layer of fine peach fuzz covering it.  It's very soft & fluffy.

Well, it is if you don't notice the bits of stubble that are just starting to peek out from under it.  (Yay!!)  If you ask me very nicely, I'll even let you pet my head.  This is a rarity since I usually hate it when people do that.

2.) I've gained somewhere between 10-15 pounds since I started the second kind of chemo treatments.


I say somewhere between because I honestly stopped keeping track since there's not a dang thing I can do about it.  Even though so many people (including myself) think of a chemo patient as being gaunt and frail, the reality is that the steroids they give along with the chemo like to throw on some more poundage. So combine that with my body craving carbs for energy and the fact that I can't exercise quite the way I used to and it's a recipe for weight gain.  It's a great thing - combine being bald, sweating from hot flashes and added weight and I totally feel SeXayyy!


Yeah, okay, not so much.  I do know the fluffiness is only temporary though.  Like I said, I'm starting to grow hair again, so there's a light at the end of the tunnel there.  I've lost a ton of weight before and I know I can do it again.  Once I'm done with my chemo (only 3 treatments left, y'all!) and I've recovered from my surgery, I'll be able to start getting everything back on track again.  I've been walking and riding my bike throughout this, so I won't be starting from scratch.  It's gonna be time to download the Couch to 5K app and start that all over again.  I so miss running.  And I'll start using the dumbbell set that we got for Christmas - what seems like lifetimes ago - before this whole mess started.  And no fad diets, just eating healthy so we can live longer, healthier lives.  

When this is all over, I'll be healthier than I've ever been before.  How's that for a silver lining?



No comments:

Post a Comment