Monday, May 26, 2014

be still my geeky heart

We recently attended our son's 8th grade band concert.  I know, I know...middle school band - oh the horror!  Fortunately, they've improved with age and practice.  Anyway, we were looking forward to it because it was the first time their Jazz Ensemble performed and our kid happened to have a solo.  I had a feeling my mom-pride would make me tear up a bit, but I wasn't expecting it to hit when it did.  It wasn't his solo...it was when I heard this:



This gave me the chills. This somewhat not-quite-right rendition of the theme from Superman made my heart skip a beat and my eyes welled up.  I'm so pathetic.  In my mind's eye, I saw Christopher Reeve flying into frame and giving a little smile, and my son was providing the soundtrack.


Yep, that's me; that's how I roll.  Oh, I did tear up a bit during his solo too, because the kid totally rocked it, but I'll also remember this concert because it was the one time my inner geek got the best of me in the strangest of places.


No comments:

Post a Comment