Thursday, July 18, 2013

why i will probably never land another job

I've been employed by the same company for almost eleven years now.  I can't remember the last job interview I had because when I came to this company, I was hired back by someone I had worked for previously.  No need for an interview. 

As any person who is looking to expand their horizons would do, I get job opening emails and tips for getting the perfect new job posted in my facebook feed that I rarely ever look at unless feeling exceptionally bored or inspired (go figure). 

Today I clicked on a link titled "How to Answer the Top 10 Job Interview Questions" and discovered that there is no way I could do this these days.  When I was looking for a job back in the day, I just needed a job.  Entry level.  As long as I could show up on time, speak intelligently and smile, I was in.  Now that I have more experience and would be looking for a position suited to that experience, and adding in the lack of available jobs compared to the number of people looking for those jobs, there are games that need to be played.  There are keywords to be spoken, research to be done.  And that's if you even get to the interview process.  The resume bots are out there scanning for keywords that probably don't even apply to the specific position you're looking for.  Miss one of those words and you're passed over. 

I admire the people who have the ambition to go out there, research every single company they might be interested in, puff themselves up, practice the perfect handshake, rehearse their interview answers in front of a mirror, but it's just not something I can do.  It's just not me.  (Of course, if I were out of a job, I suppose I could do anything out of desperation.)  So with that in mind I just have to say, all of you out there looking for a job and going through this, I truly wish you the best of luck. The world of the job search is just crazy!

Side note: No, if prospective employers are out there googling my name, they will not find this blog.  I'm not completely insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment