Oh, I think I've found the thing that irritates me as badly as the sound of nails on a chalkboard does for most other people. (Oddly it never really bugged me that much.)
I was just sent an email about a Toys for Tots campaign that's going on. It's a great thing - a way for people to be involved and help others, but there's something I just can't get past...
On the email and the attached document that we're supposed to post everywhere, it's listed as "Toy's for Tot's." Everywhere. About 30 times between the two items.
I believe that both Toys and Tots are plural, correct? They do not possess anything nor are they contractions of "toy is" or "tot is." Isn't this something kids learn in grade school? Is it that easily forgotten? Ooh - maybe the improper use has become contagious as I've seen it more and more frequently on Facebook. It's like Outbreak, but with less death.
To help people overcome this problem (and to save my inner grammar nerd), I've decided to post this helpful link to a website full of fun games for kids and adults to help them learn all about possessives and contractions and Mister Apostrophe. I've always wanted to do some good in the world. Maybe this will be my legacy.


No comments:
Post a Comment