Monday, August 11, 2014

when the villains from your past become heroes of the present

You probably don't remember this post from way  back in 2012, but both of the people who I wrote about have really come through over the past couple of months and I wanted to share the fact.

Person 1 - The Student.  We actually became "friends" on facebook recently and though we don't really communicate, she's been supportive of me.  She's shared and reposted links for our fundraiser and our card shower for our son.  Again, does she even remember how she was toward me back in middle school?  I don't think I even care now.  It's ancient history.

Person 2 - The Teacher.  She was actually my son's homeroom teacher last year and he got along with her quite well.  I spoke with her briefly at parent-teacher conferences, mentioning that I was one of her students back in the day, but never divulging my maiden name.  I could tell she was trying to search the 30 years of students that she had locked away in her brain to find me.  I did tell her the years that I was there and she told me that she was still pretty new back then.  That explained a few things about how she acted back then.  Well anyway, when we had the card shower for our son for his 14th birthday, she happened to be one of the few teachers from his now former school who took the time to send him a card.  Any hard feelings I might have had left toward her completely faded away when I saw it.

That's it.  Anger gone.  Issues disappeared.  I haven't forgotten the pain it caused, but I know I've gotten past it and learned from it and I know I'm stronger because of it.  We've matured and grown and moved on.  It's so good to know that it does happen.  Maybe not with everyone as there are still some people who I grew up with who have the same ugly attitudes they had in high school, but I'd say for the most part it does happen.

Maturity.  Wisdom.  Compassion.



No comments:

Post a Comment