Monday, March 10, 2014

apparently you don't know who i am

Lately at work I've been called "earthy" and "Bohemian"  I've been trying to figure out how they're coming up with this.  They think I know natural remedies and have a garden, and knowing the categories that my co-workers put people in, they probably think I don't shave my armpits or shower regularly or something.


Is it the fact that I don't go clothes shopping every weekend?  That I don't care about shoes?  That I know what's going on in the world?  Perhaps it's the fact that I meditate or the fact that I feel more comfortable not wearing a wig through my chemo.  I have no clue.

One person was amazed that I don't eat avocados or guacamole. "But you're so earthy - how can you not like them?"  Hate to burst your bubble, babe, but guess what else I don't like - mushrooms.  You can't get much "earthier" than fungus.  Another person asked me if I knew of any good herbs to take for some menstrual issue they had.  Ummm..no?  Call your doctor?  I will use a natural remedy here and there if I've learned one, but I certainly won't use it in place of doctor-recommended scientifically-proven medicines.

I also can't grow plants.  Not even an herb garden.  I've tried.  I don't smoke weed - never have.  I do love nature, but I don't like sleeping in it.  Nope, no tents for me.  Give me a nice cabin with plumbing, thanks.  I enjoy dressing up and wearing heels - I've done that since I was in middle school.  I take a shower every day, applying store-bought deodorant, and I certainly can't go out of the house without a bra and makeup on.

I think they'd probably run in fear from some people I know who are oh so much more "Bohemian" than I am.  Sometimes I wonder if they have any idea about real people in the great big world out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment